Tuesday, August 28, 2007

10 years ago...

In a few days, there will be an anniversary being "celebrated", or better "commemorated", both in UK and in most fo the rest of the world. You probably know what I am talking about: 10 years ago a fabulous, legendary woman died. I am sure I do not have to mention whom I mean: Mother Theresa.

Got you there?

What happened 10 years ago, did at that time almost prompt me to begin something that would nowadays be called a "blog". I was annoyed and amused at the same time about that media circus that evolved after the car accident in which Lady Di perished. Now, 10 years later, the circus seems to repeat itself, and so I use the opportunity to post my opinion on this.

Lady Diana died in that car accident on 31. August 1997. She had been very popular, although that celebrity gossip never interested me. She had lived a life on the side of the "more advantaged", in high society, among the "fortunate ones". Of course she was very humanitarian and used her fame for positive impact. But overall she lived a privileged life, as everyone of "us" would dream to live one. Ok, she had some personal trouble. But she is not the only wife who has been abandoned by her husband - these things happen! So I do not feel that she was a tragic person. She was very well in control of her glamorous life, and had everything she wanted and needed. And if that car accident had not cut her life short, she would have gone on to lead a happy life.

Mother Theresa had been doing her humanitarian work since decades. I knew already as a child about her. She selflessly helped the poor in Calcutta, not glamorous, but in filth and poverty. Ok, one may criticise her work as not removing the causes but sort of stabilizing the bad situation, but she personally helped so many individuals who will have her personally in memory. When she died on 5. September 1997, the story of her death was buried in all that news about Lady Di. I felt ashamed for humanity at that point. And now, with the anniversary, the same situation will continue. I am curious how in 90 years the 100 year anniversary will be celebrated - maybe then Mother Theresa gets a bit more coverage, as somebody who really made a difference into individual's lifes, and who was not just a celebrity footnote in history whose personal problems dominated the news.

No comments: